Netherlands diplomatic missions, Vietnam

Dutch passport, ID card

Dutch travel documents
Before applying for a new passport please make an appointment via our on-line appointment system. Passport applications must be done in person. When ready the passports should also be collected in person. The Dutch missions in Vietnam cannot issue Dutch Idenitity cards.

Many countries require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months after departure from that country. We therefore recommend timely renewal of your old passport.

Requirements for passport application (renewal):

  • Filled out and signed passport application form. In the case of a minor the following additional requirements apply:
    - both parents must sign the application form;
    - in case only one parent is present during the application and the absent parent has not signed the passport application form: a ‘toestemmingsverklaring’ of the absent parent together with either the original passport or a copy of the identity card/passport on which the signature has been legalized;
    - a copy of the birth certificate*;
    - a copy of the marriage certificate or other document which proves the parental authority*;
    * if the certificate is not in the Dutch language please supply us with a translation in English 
    NB Please see below for first passport applications.
  • Your old passport. If you have more than one (foreign) passport please present all of them with your application;
  • Two recent colour passport pictures. The pictures must have a good resemblance, must show the front of the face, have a light grey or white background and your mouth should be closed. Please check for the exact specifications. In Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City we have good experiences with the following photographers:


- Photoshop Nguyen Binh: 42 Hai Ba Trung Street

Ho Chi Minh City:

- Nguyen Ky: 190A Vo Van Tan, District 3 or

89A Cach Mang Thang 8, Ben Thanh, District 1

  • In the case of a lost passport an original police report (for processing by the Vietnamese immigration authorities) and a personal statement concerning the lost passport;
  • In the case that you have obtained your Dutch nationality through naturalisation a copy of the naturalisation decision (an copy can be obtained through .

The applicable fees must be settled in Vietnam Dong at the time of application.

The application takes a maximum of 4 weeks to process. Unless we contact you the passport can be picked up from our consular section 4 weeks after the application. Please bring you old travel document. We will return it to you after invalidating it. The new passport may be collected during the opening hours of the consular section.

First passport application:
Additional requirements for the passportapplication for a new-born:

  • Original translated and legalised marriage certificate (not older than one year)
  • Original translated and legalised certificate of recognition
    (for Vietnamese recognitions additional requirements may apply. Please contact us beforehand);
  • Original translated and legalised birth certificate (not older than six months)

The child must be present when applying.

Lost passport
Emergency passports are manufactured by our office in Malaysia which means processing takes a minimum of 3 working days. For a return trip to the Netherlands the Embassy or Consulate General can issue you with a laissez-passer within one working day. However a laissez-passer is only
valid for a one way trip back to the Netherlands.

If you lose your passport in Vietnam you should report this to the local police to obtain a police report. Subsequently you should apply for a new (emergency) passport at either the embassy or the consulate-general. If the lost document was not originally issued in Vietnam we will have to verify the contents with the issuing authority. Only after verification are we able to issue you with a new document. After you have received your new travel document you must a apply for a new entry/exit visa with the Vietnamese immigration authorities.

Should you have any questions regarding Dutch travel documents please send us an e-mail at

If you lose your passport abroad, the nearest Dutch embassy or consulate can help you obtain a new passport or temporary travel document (emergency passport or laissez passer).